Welcome to the Human Trafficking Committee Page! We thank you for taking the time to learn how you can help break the chains that enslave so many of God’s children.
Committee Vision & Purpose Statement:
We are a group of parishioners dedicated to the call of acknowledging and addressing the issue of human trafficking in our society by:
- Increasing the awareness of the prevalence of human trafficking in our communities and our society for ourselves and our fellow parishioners.
- Seeking and implementing sources of education for ourselves and our fellow parishioners regarding the many facets of human trafficking.
- Supporting agencies actively working for the cause of human trafficking through donation, prayer, and presence.
The Committee typically meets on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 1pm in the Oscar Romero room. We always welcome new members! Fill out the form at the bottom of this page for information.
Our upcoming project is a donation drive over the weekend of June 18-19, 2022. We will be collecting needed items for partner agencies. Bring any of the following items with you when you come to mass that weekend!
- The Committee partnered with Risen Savior Faith Formation for a 2-part Lenten 2021 Donation Drive. The first part was collecting personal hygiene items to support the clients at Breaking Free (St. Paul). Thank you to everyone who supported this drive! We delivered a whole mini-van full of care items! Many Faith Formation students also made cards to give to clients and staff at Breaking Free to remind them they are loved.
- In the winter of 2020-2021, the Committee put together and delivered gratitude baskets to local law enforcement and local organizations that support the work of ending human trafficking.
- The committee has hosted several jewelry sales to benefit the work of fighting trafficking. Their most recent sale was a Holiday Sale during the Christmas season 2021.
- The Committee has used funds from sales to support Breaking Free in a number of ways, including purchasing supplies for their graduation dinners for the Sisters of Support class, replacing the front door to one of their properties, donating towards their landscaping project, and purchasing organizational bins for a storage closet.
Concrete Ways to Support the Human Trafficking Committee
- Clean Out Your Jewelry Box. At this point in time, the committee is accepting donations of used jewelry. Previously, we were able to hold jewelry sales to fundraise for our outreach efforts. The Committee has also donated used and/or broken jewelry to Breaking Free for their work with trafficked women in “taking something broken and turning it into something beautiful.” While we cannot hold sales right now, we can accept your used jewelry for future ones!
- Donate Items for Breaking Free Graduations. Breaking Free offers classes for their clients, which teach them life skills to sustain and support themselves in a life free from trafficking. In the past, Risen Savior’s Human Trafficking Committee has provided food for the graduation ceremonies. At this point, the Committee continues to put together gift bags for each of the women. Here is a list of items we could use: